Paralegals & Professional Staff Openings
Media Relations Specialist
- New York, NY
The Media Relations Specialist is responsible for executing the firm’s communications strategies with respect to traditional and social media and internal communications. The Specialist works under the direction of the Chief Communications Officer, Media Relations Managers and interacts directly with the Firm’s partners and practice groups. The role collaborates closely with the firm’s Business Development team.
• Draft, finalize and distribute press releases, internal announcements and web postings. Ensure timely, accurate and engaging storytelling, consistent with the firm’s brand guidelines.
• Create content for Orrick’s web site and other social media applications.. • Develop relationships with local, national and international legal trade and business media to facilitate media interest, interviews and features that highlight the Firm’s activities, deals, wins and personnel.
• Proactively identify and execute opportunities for attorneys to be featured as expert commentators and by-lined authors by monitoring editorial calendars, developing relationships with reporters, monitoring current news events and other means as appropriate.
• Manage press attendance and coverage of firm events, panel discussions and seminars as needed.
• Assist in developing, shaping and coordinating internal firm reporting of firm news (i.e. lateral hires, transactional and litigation results, awards), events and editorial opportunities.
• Manage award and directory submissions; identifying award opportunities; coordinating and drafting submissions; and reporting results internally and externally via the firm’s website and social media channels.
• Assist with the development of external communications plans for the Firm’s practice groups and offices.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university is required.
• A minimum of five years professional and relevant experience in a similar PR/media relations/marketing or editorial capacity.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Knowledge of HTML and software such as Dreamweaver and Adobe Photoshop a plus.
• Must be proficient with MS Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, content management systems, and intranet and extranet systems.
• Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills required.
• Exceptionally strong service orientation and ability to work with clients and colleagues at all levels of the organization.
• Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a client-service focused team environment.
• Critical thinking and problem solving skills as well as exceptional attentiveness to detail required.
• Proven ability to handle multiple tasks, concurrent projects and competing priorities while maintaining calmness and tactfulness in a high-volume, fast-paced and deadline-driven service organization.
• Must be willing to work occasionally during irregular evening and weekend hours when required for time-sensitive, project-specific activities and/or during urgent situations.
• Agency experience or prior law firm, professional services experience strongly preferred
• Ability to travel occasionally as needed.
Orrick is a top ranked global law firm. Founded in San Francisco 150 years ago, Orrick today has offices in 25 cities worldwide. We win high-stakes cases and counsel on innovative transactions, with particular strength in the technology, energy & infrastructure and financial sectors. American Lawyer recently named us to its 10-year “A-List” – in recognition of the firm’s consistently strong financial performance and our culture of collaboration and community service. Our Global Operations Center in Wheeling, West Virginia, is home to more than 300 members of our team. Established more than a decade ago, it was the first centralized administrative operation in a major law firm.
Orrick offers a friendly work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits.
Please visit www.orrick.com for more information about the firm. To submit your resume and cover letter for this position, please visit our Paralegal and Professional Staff listing at www.orrick.com/careers/. Please include your salary expectations in your cover letter. Submissions without salary expectations may not be considered.
No phone calls please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability